These rich, chewy brownies don't have the "matzoh" taste of so many Passover baked goods. It's adapted from a recipe in "The Kids Holiday Baking Book" by Rosemary Black. We replaced some of the eggs with bananas and applesauce to reduce the fat and cholesterol.
2 cups sugar
Â½ cup vegetable shortening
1 mashed ripe banana
Â¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
Â½ cup cocoa
Â¼ teaspoon salt
Â½ cup water
1 cup matzoh cake meal
1/3 cup potato starch
1 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Beat sugar and shortening until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add the eggs, banana, and applesauce and beat well. Add cocoa and mix for about 30 seconds. Add salt, water, matzoh cake meal, and starch. Beat on low until well combined. Stir in the nuts.
3. Pour into baking dish and back for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
4. Remove from oven, cool, cut into bars.
5. Warm brownies slightly before serving and top with vanilla ice cream.