Dutch Oven Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
This is currently my favorite Dutch Oven chicken recipe. Its full of veggie goodness and my whole family love it. Its perfect for a one dish meal. We have cooked this outdoors in our large cast iron dutch oven using charcoal briquets, in a slow cooker, and also in our home oven using a large stew pot.
We belong to a Dutch Oven cooking group that gets together about once a month to do a communal cook gathering. When we camp out and share food with other Dutch Oven enthusiasts, this dish is always a favorite and one of our most requested recipes.
- 1 lb boneless chicken thighs (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 Green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- ½ large red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 small can sliced button mushrooms
- 1 can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and pepper
- 1 large (28 oz) can Spaghetti Sauce (We used Exclusivo Wild Porcini Sauce, an obscure but delicious brand of tomato spaghetti sauce)
- Dump everything into a dutch oven and cook at 350 degrees for an hour. You may brown the meat first for a little extra flavor, but it will cook in the sauce without pre-browning.