Tanner Kohn was the Grand Prize Winner in Recipe Search and Receives $3,500 Savings Bond toward Culinary School Tuition. He was also recognized with the highest City Achievement Award
Move over Iron Chef and Emeril! A 5th grader at Bell Crossing (Tanner Kohn - aspiring celebrity chef) won thee Fresh Express "Amazing Search for Fresh" salad recipe challenge.
Tanner (just ten years old from Simpsonville, S.C.) won the event. Barbara Barlow (Tanner's elementary principal) will present savings bond and award certificate.
And Why was his recipe such a culinary special?
- Impressive for such a young student to create something delicious, healthy, unique and fun!
- On the track to chef-success, Tanner enters several cooking contests every year because he loves it so much AND he did it his way -- without parental help.
- Among the youngest of all entrants of the many entries received nationally -- winner of grand prize (tuition to Culinary School, school cafeteria "Makeover").
- He was eager to share tips for healthy living with other kids and always encourages others to "go for greens!"
- Great role model and example that, despite the allure of high-calorie snacks, some kids are "getting the message" and finding ways to eat healthy meals.
According to the latest new release on this award this "matter" because:
The mission of Teens for Greens is to encourage as many teens as possible to join the fight against obesity and be good to their bodies by eating an array of fresh produce, especially salads and fresh deep greens. The Fresh Express "Amazing Search for Fresh" Salad Recipe Challenge was developed to encourage teens to embrace healthy eating habits in a fun way by creating healthy salads. Tanner Kohn is an example of how even young kids are getting a great start by living a healthy, active lifestyle.