Weeknight Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas
Recipe type: Main
This is not as good as my friend Larisa's black bean and sweet potato enchiladas with homemade enchilada sauce (which are awesome!), but this shortcut version using Hatch Enchilada Sauce is still tasty and goes together quickly - quick enough for a weeknight meal.
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 russet baking potato
- 1 T olive oil
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 1 can Hatch Enchilada Sauce (mild or medium)
- 1 tsp chile powder (use Ancho Chile powder if you have it)
- 1 T cumin
- 2 15 oz cans seasoned black beans (do not drain)
- 1 15 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 15 corn tortillas
- 2 cups mexican style shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350. Preheat a 12" Dutch Oven in oven while it comes up to temperature.
- Peel and dice sweet pototoes and russet potato. Microwave on high 8 minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile, In a large skillet over medium heat, sweat red onion in olive oil until softened. Add enchilada sauce, chile powder, and cumin. Stir until combined.
- Add black beans and chopped tomatoes and continue to heat.
- When potatoes are soft, add half to skillet. Mash remaining potatoes with a potato masher until lumpy, then add to skillet. Stir until combined.
- Place ¼ of filling in Dutch Oven, layer 5 tortillas on top, then ½ cup of cheese. Repeat with two more layers of filling, tortillas, and cheese.
- Place remaining filling on top and top with remaining ½ cup of cheese. Place lid on Dutch Oven.
- Bake 20 minutes in oven, remove lid, and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until the pot is bubbly and cheese is melted and just begining to brown.
- Note: You can prep the filling in the Dutch Oven on the stovetop, then remove the filling to the bowl used for the sweet potatoes prior to laying things up. This reduces the pan-washing needed and takes care of the preheat as well, but complicates the procedure somewhat.