Chickpea Stew with Spinach and Almonds
Recipe type: vegetarian
Serves: 4 servings
Delicious vegetarian meal - Chickpea Stew with Spinach and Almonds
- • Extra virgin olive oil
- • 8 to 10 oz baby spinach
- • 2½ oz almonds
- • 2 slices whole wheat bread, crust removed, cut into small cubes
- • 3 garlic cloves, minced
- • 1¼ tsp ground cumin
- • ½ tsp smoked paprika
- • ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- • Salt and pepper
- • ¼ cup red wine
- • 1 small onion, chopped
- • 1 small sweet bell pepper (any color), cored and chopped
- • 1 lb canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- • 1 cup tomato sauce
- • ¼ to ½ cups of water
- For garnish
- • Handful fresh cilantro leaves
- • Cubed bread, toasted in olive oil
- • Toasted almonds
- In a large skillet heat 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add spinach and cook until wilted. Remove spinach from heat and set aside.
- In a skillet add olive oil and heat pan. Add almonds and bread. Saute until almonds turn a golden brown color, then add garlic, spices, and a dash of salt and pepper. Stir frequently until spices coat the almonds and bread.
- Remove almonds and bread from pan. After they cool, mince them into small pieces.
- Add olive oil to a skillet and when hot add chopped onion and bell peppers. Cook until tender. Add chickpeas, tomato sauce, and water. Simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add the wilted spinach and almond-bread mixture to the chickpeas. Stir and let simmer another 5 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper and spices to taste.
- Garnish with cilantro, toasted bread, and toasted blanched almonds.