A southwestern take on shepherds pie, with a delicious cornbread topping.
Vegetarian Cowboy Shepherds Pie
Recipe type: Main Course
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 green bell or anaheim pepper, cut in strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in strips
- 1 medium purple onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, or 1 T chopped garlic
- 1 can yellow corn, drained
- 1 can fire-roasted chopped tomatoes
- 2 cans seasoned black beans (do not drain)
- 1 T cumin
- 1 t ancho chile powder (or other powdered chile - not chili powder)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Topping: http://www.culinarymusings.com/2009/10/aunt-helens-easy-sweet-cornbread-recipe/
- Preheat oven to 375 (as per cornbread recipe)
- In a 12" cast iron skillet, saute peppers and onions until softened. While softening, prepare cornbread batter.
- Add garlic and saute two more minutes.
- Add corn, tomatoes, beans and seasoning. Heat until bubbling.
- Pour cornbread mixture over top, ensuring batter reaches to edges of skillet. Bake as per cornbread recipe (about 30-35 minutes, or until browned on top).