On a cold day there is nothing like a nice hot meal to warm your tummy. Whether you are having company over or just spending time with a significant other this chicken and spaghetti bake is perfect. The combination of flavors is both delicious and nutritious if you make specific selections when buying the ingredients. Choosing whole wheat pasta is a good place to start. Read on to learn how to make this yummy chicken and spaghetti bake.
Ingredients You Need
• 4 Ounces of Uncooked Spaghetti
• 3 Slices of Bacon (optional)
• ½ Onion
• 1 Clove of Garlic
• 3 Tablespoons of Flour
• 16 Ounce Can of Diced Tomatoes
• 1 Large Can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
• ½ Cup Milk
• 4 Ounces of American Cheese
• 2 Small Boneless & Skinless Chicken Breasts
• 1 ½ Cups of Frozen Peas
• ¼ Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
Supplies You Need
• Cheese Grater
• Measuring Spoons
• Measuring Cups
• Garlic Press
• Can Opener
• Sharpened Knife
• 2 ½ Quart Casserole Dish
Making the Casserole
• Start by putting on a pot of water for the spaghetti and when it comes to a rolling boil break your pasta in half and put it in the pot. Cook according to directions on package. Then take out your frozen peas and put them in a bowl to thaw out. When your pasta is finished cooking strain and set aside in the pot.
• Take a baking dish out and bake your chicken breasts plain with a little olive oil to prevent sticking to the pan. Remove from the oven once they are fully cooked and cut into ½ inch cubes. Set aside. Leave oven on and set it to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
• Using your grater in separate bowls grate the American and Parmesan cheeses. Set those aside and begin heating your skillet for the bacon if you are putting that in the dish. Once your bacon is cooked thoroughly set aside on a plate with paper towels on it to soak up extra grease.
• Chop up your half of an onion into small pieces and put them into a large saucepan along you’re your pressed clove of garlic. Mix around with a spoon for about 5 minutes and then add the can of tomatoes, cream of mushroom soup, milk and chopped bacon if you choose. Cook until it thickens.
• Add your shredded American cheese to the mix and stir until melted. Then add your strained pasta, cubed chicken and thawed peas to the mix. Dump the whole mixture into your casserole dish and spread out evenly. Top with Parmesan cheese and place in the oven uncovered for 45 minutes.
Serve this delicious meal in a bowl or on a plate with a slice of garlic bread on the side. Enjoy!