I went to a potluck last weekend. I brought Margaritas....someone else brought potato salad.
Well, that's what they called it. It was mashed potato salad, with lots of vinegar...it was awful.
I'm from Minnesota - our potato salad is made with salad dressing (Miracle Whip) and mustard, it has celery and eggs and potatoes and onion. It is not warm (unless you're German, I'm Norwegian - we don't do that,) it isn't made with mashed potatoes (shudder) and it's on every church or community potluck table you will find across the state.
I realized that not many people grow up with potato salad in their summertime diet. I did. My mom makes wonderful potato salad, and I'm lucky enough to have learned from her. Hers tastes better, probably because she made it - doesn't all food made by mom taste better?
I'm sharing my easy recipe here, this takes about 20 minutes max to put together, you should chill for a bit in the fridge if you can.
- 2 packages small potatoes - the kind that are packaged for steaming in the microwave - find them in the produce section
- 4 eggs
- 3 green onions, diced/sliced
- 1 large stalk celery, diced
- 1 C. Miracle Whip
- 3 Tbsp Mustard
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- ½ Tsp Paprika
- ½ Tsp minced parsley or dill (optional)
- Place the eggs in a small pan of cold water, cover and put on med/lo heat on the stove
- Place the potatoes in the microwave on full power for about 8 minutes - read your package directions because size of spud matters here
- While eggs and potatoes are cooking, dice onions & celery and put in a large bowl
- Once eggs come to a boil, reduce to a simmer and set a timer for 9 minutes
- When 9 minutes is up, dump off hot water, run under cold water for 2 minutes, fill up the pan, and add 2 C of ice cubes. Let sit
- When potatoes are done, dump into a colander and rinse with cold water. You can put these in an icewater bath with the eggs if you like.
- While eggs and potatoes cool, mix up dressing by combining Miracle Whip, Mustard, Salt & Pepper in a small bowl.
- Dice cooled potatoes and add to the celery and onions
- Peel your eggs, save one out that looks the best and dice the rest up and add to your potatoes
- Pour the dressing over the top and stir gently, but well
- Put into your serving bowl and top with your extra egg, sliced
- Sprinkle lightly with paprika
- Top with herbs if you like, this just adds some interest to the top of the salad