One of the meals my husband and I enjoy eating with our kids is Swedish meatballs. They are delicious and taste great with baked potatoes and lingonberry sauce which you can pick up at specialty grocery stores. There is not a lot of preparation involved and the taste is great. We are not big pork eaters either and these meatballs only call for ground beef.
Ingredients You Need
• 2 Pounds of Ground Beef (97/3)
• 1 Egg
• 1/2 Cup Plain Bread Crumbs
• 1 Tablespoon of Dijon Mustard
• ½ Cup Grated Sweet Onion
• 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
• ½ Teaspoon Celery Seeds
• 1 Teaspoon Salt
• ½ Teaspoon Pepper
• Half and Half
• Sour Cream
• Olive Oil for Greasing Frying Pan
Supplies You Need
• Electric Mixer or Great Mixing Spoon
• Large Mixing Bowl (for mixing by hand)
• Measuring Cups
• Measuring Spoons
• Large Frying Pan
• Cookie Sheet
• Metal Tongs for Cooking Meatballs
• Large Baking Dish with Cover
Making the Meatballs
• If you are using an electric mixer this is a quick and easy recipe for dinner any night of the week. Place the ground beef, egg and bread crumbs into the mixer and start it on low for 1 to 2 minutes.
• Peel the outer layer off your onion and grate a cup of sweet onion. Add it to your mixer along with the mustard, Worcestershire sauce, ¼ cup of half and half, celery seeds, salt and pepper. Mix on low for 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
• Now would be the time to start baking small potatoes so they are ready by the time your meatballs are done cooking.
• Form meat into 1 inch balls and place them on a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick olive oil spray as they wait to be cooked. Place your large frying pan on a burner and turn it on medium.
• Place a drizzle of olive oil in the bottom of the frying pan and put meatballs in the bottom to cook. Make sure they are not touching one-another. Turn with your metal tongs until all sides are brown and put them in a baking dish before starting more meatballs.
• After you cook all of the meatballs place the baking dish with a cover on it in the oven to keep them warm. While they stay warm use the juices left in the frying pan to make gravy by adding additional half and half and some sour cream a little at a time to taste.
• After your gravy is made finish preparing your baked potatoes and place them on the plates along with a spoonful of lingonberry sauce and about 8 to 10 meatballs. Spoon some gravy over the meatballs and serve immediately. Enjoy!