Herbed Dinner Rolls
Recipe type: Bread
Serves: 16 Rolls
Fluffy, yeasty dinner rolls with an herbal accent. Two hours from start to tabletop.
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 2 T honey
- 5 cups AP flour (separated)
- 2 t salt
- 1 T Italian seasoning
- 2 T olive oil spread, melted
- Olive oil
- Combine water, yeast, and honey in measuring cup.
- Let proof for 5 mins.
- Meanwhile combine 4 cups flour, salt, and herbs in large bowl. Mix well.
- Add water/yeast mixture to flour and stir with wooden spoon. Add additional flour 2 T at a time until too stiff to stir.
- Turn out on large floured cutting board or countertop. Knead for 5 mins, adding more flour as needed if too sticky to handle. A total of perhaps 1 cup of flour or more might be added, depending on humidity.
- Return dough to bowl and cover top with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place 45 mins or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, oil bottom and sides of 12" cast iron skillet with olive oil.
- Punch down dough and turn out onto floured work surface, knead briefly, and divide into 16 portions.
- Make a circle with thumb and index finger and push dough portion through and gather rough edges together at the bottom to make a smooth-topped ball. Place in skillet close together with other dough balls. Brush tops of rolls with melted butter/olive oil spread.
- Let rise again for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 while dough rises.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Serve warm from the oven.