Quinoa and Butternut Squash Curried Soup
Recipe type: Soup
Serves: 10 cups
Smooth and creamy, with just a hint of heat from the cayenne, this soup is perfect for a cold, rainy or snowy day.
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 2 cups diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground sea salt
- 1 cup raw quinoa, rinsed and drained
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1½ tablespoons yellow curry powder
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2½ lb. butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper for seasoning
- ½ cup plain vegan yoghurt, as garnish
- ¼ cup roasted unsalted pistachios or cashews, chopped, as garnish
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. When oil is shimmering, add onion and sauté for about 3 minutes. Add garlic and ¼ tsp salt. Continue sautéing for another 2-3 minutes, or until the onion is softened and translucent.
- Add the quinoa, cumin, cayenne pepper and curry powder. Saute for about 2 more minutes until fragrant.
- Add broth and cubed squash to the pot. Heat on high until boiling, then reduce heat to low and cover.
- Simmer with lid on for about 30 minutes, or until squash and quinoa are cooked through. Do not overcook.
- Remove from heat and let sit, still covered, for about 5 minutes. Then, remove lid and allow to cool somewhat - this will make the soup easier to handle for blending.
- Working in small batches, transfer the soup to the blender and puree on high for 30-60 seconds or until smooth and creamy. Place the blended soup into another container as each unblended batch is processed. Season blended soup to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- To serve, ladle the soup into large bowls, garnish with yoghurt, and sprinkle chopped nuts on top.