Aunt Helen's Easy Sweet Cornbread Recipe
Cooler weather meals like chili demand homemade cornbread.
My Aunt Helen introduced me to a super simple cornbread recipe that makes some of the tastiest cornbread around.
A side benefit of making homemade cornbread is that it costs less than a third of the price of the packages you buy in the store.
- ½ cup butter
- ⅔ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease an 8"x8" inch square pan or 10" cast iron skillet with PAM. Place pan into oven to preheat.
- Melt the butter in large microwave safe bowl. Remove.
- Stir in the sugar and then quickly add the eggs and beat until well blended. The eggs will cook slightly, but that's OK.
- Add the baking soda to the buttermilk and stir into butter and egg mixture.
- Add remaining ingredients and still until well blended and few lumps remain.
- Pour batter into the prepared, hot pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Enjoy your easy and sweet cornbread with homemade chili, soup, or other cold weather favorite.