If you are looking for an alternative to pumpkin pie you can make yourself a delicious sweet potato pie. The coconut crust is amazing and a great alternative to those of you who cannot eat wheat. While the pie has plenty of rich and creamy flavors, the crust adds just the right amount of texture to each bite. Read on to learn how to create this fabulous desert for your next party or family dinner.
Sweet Potato Pie with Coconut Crust
Recipe type: Dessert
- 2 ½ Cups of Sweet Flaked Coconut
- ½ Cup of Unsalted Butter
- 2 Medium Sweet Potatoes
- 3 Whole Eggs
- ½ Cup of Regular Sour Cream
- ⅛ Cup of Lemon Juice
- ½ Teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon
- ½ Teaspoon of Ground Ginger
- ½ Teaspoon of Ground Nutmeg
- ½ Teaspoon of Ground Cardamom
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit and put your small saucepan on the stove on low. Put your butter into the saucepan and allow it to melt. Pour the melted butter into your mixing bowl and then measure and add the coconut to the bowl. Mix ingredients together well with a mixing spoon.
- Pour the coconut and butter mixture into the deep dish pie plate and use a large spoon to spread it around. Make sure you evenly spread it up the sides and over the bottom. Then put the pie crust in the oven and bake it for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the pie crust from the oven and place it on the cooling rack. Turn your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Then it is time to make the pie filling.
- Put a pot of water on to boil with the steamer insert and lid. Wash, peel and chop the sweet potatoes into small pieces. Add the chopped sweet potatoes to the steamer pot. Once the sweet potatoes are soft enough to stick a fork in with ease, remove from the heat and pull the steamer insert out.
- Put 2 cups of the steamed sweet potatoes in the food processor or a mixing bowl if you are using electric beaters. Add the eggs, sour cream, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cardamom to the sweet potatoes. Mix all the ingredients together until it turns into smooth consistency.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust making sure to get every drop. You can use the rubber bowl scraper for this part. Then place the pie into the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove immediately from oven and place it on the cooling rack. Serve once pie has cooled.
Is there supposed to be sugar in it?
The sweet potatoes are sweet already, and additional sugar is not needed. If you like, you could 1/2 cup of white or light brown sugar for additional sweetness.