Thai Coconut Curried Noodles
Recipe type: Main Course
Thai rice noodles and fresh vegetables simmered in coconut milk, curry, and sweet chili sauce makes a delicious vegetarian meal.
- 1 lb firm tofu, cut into ½" slabs
- 2 tbsp sweet soy sauce, low sodium
- 2 cups broccoli cut into florets
- 2 cups carrots cut into matchsticks
- 1 lb rice noodles
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced thin
- ½ cup scallions, bias cut
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled & chopped
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1½ cups fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 can “lite”coconut milk
- 2 tbsp Thai curry paste (red or green)
- ⅔ cup sweet chile sauce
- toasted sesame seeds
- shredded coconut
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- While water is heating, brown slabs of tofu on both sides. Remove from heat and cube. Toss cubes with 2 Tbsp of soy sauce.
- Blanch broccoli and carrots for 1 minute. Strain and reserve hot water. Cool vegetables in ice water.
- Return hot water to a boil. When boiling, turn off heat. Add rice noodles and stir to separate strands. Let noodles cook 5 minutes off the heat, stirring occasionally.
- While noodles cook, place large sauté pan over high heat. Add canola oil and sautéed mushrooms until lightly golden.
- Add the following ingredients to sauté pan in order, allowing 1 minute between additions:
- - coconut milk, Thai curry paste, and tofu
- - carrots and broccoli
- - Red bell peppers
- - scallion and ginger
- - sweet chile sauce and noodles
- Toss once or twice to coat all ingredients well with sauce. Place on serving platter. Provide sesame seeds and shredded coconut for garnish.
You can use a variety of vegetables - pick whatever is in season. Cut the pieces fairly small so that they cook quickly and can take advantage of the delicious sauce.
Serving size: 6