Potato Apple Gratin Recipe
If you like gratin potatoes, you will love this recipe for potato apple gratin.
As you may know gratin is a French culinary technique where you have a tasty browned crust usually of cheese or breadcrumbs.
You won't be disappointed with this version of Gratin that combines apples, potatoes, cheese and a hint of nutmeg into a delicious side dish.
Here's our family recipe for Potato Apple Gratin:
5 pounds yellow potatoes, sliced 1/8" thick using a mandolin slicer
3 large or 4 medium Granny Smith Apples,chopped to a small dice
1/2 yellow onion, medium diced
6 to 7 strips bacon, cooked to a crisp and then crumbled
1 1/2 cups shredded mix of Gruyere and jarlsberg cheeses
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, or more to taste
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
3 gloves garlic, minced
Follow these easy steps for a delicious dish:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook the bacon in a dutch oven and use the drippings to grease the pan.
2. Layer 1/3 of the potatoes, 1/3 of the apples, 1/3 of the onions and 1/3 of the bacon in the dutch oven.
3. Layer 1/3 the cheese over potatoes. Repeat layers.
4. In a separate bowl, mix the cream, garlic and nutmeg and the salt and pepper.Pour cream mixture over layers in baking dish.
5. Cover dutch oven with foil and bake for 1 ½ hours. Uncover and continue baking for 15 minutes.
6. Let stand for ten minutes.
This recipe makes enough for twelve so its perfect for a dinner gathering of friends.
They will rave about this dish…trust me, every time I make this dish I have to share the Potato Apple Gratin recipe. We've made it in our traditional home oven and out cooking using our Dutch ovens. Comes out great either way.