Recipe type: Side Dish
- 12" Dutch Oven or deep saute pan
- 2 T oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups rice (rinsed or unrinsed)*
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup water
- Heat oil in dutch oven. Add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add garlic part way through.
- Add rice and cumin and saute until translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then simmer 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed.
- * If you like your Mexican Rice more fluffy and less sticky, start by putting the raw rice in a strainer and rinsing for about 2 minutes under running water to remove some of the starch from the outside of the rice.