If you love fish and are looking for a great way to serve it than this is the recipe for you. With access to delicious sushi grade Ahi tuna you can easily create a masterpiece of a meal for your friends and family. This seared Ahi tastes great with a side of rice and a nice tossed salad. To help create this beautiful meal here are the ingredients and supplies you need and how to make it.
Ingredients You Need
• 2 Pounds of Sushi Grade Ahi Tuna
• 4 to 6 Servings of Rice
• ¼ Cup of Chopped Fennel
• ¼ Cup Chopped Basil
• 1 Tablespoon Capers
• 2 Tablespoons Butter
• 2 Cloves of Crushed Garlic
• 1 Package of Mixed Baby Salad Greens
• 2 Carrots (Finely Chopped or Peeler Shaved)
• 1 Package of Cherry Tomatoes
• Olive Oil
• Balsamic Vinegar
Supplies You Need
• Large Skillet (cast iron)
• Wooden Spoon
• Medium Sauce Pan
• Metal Spatula
• Cutting Board
• Nice Sharp Knife
• Measuring Cups
• Measuring Spoons
• Salad Spinner
• Salad Bowl
• Salad Tongs
Making the Rice
• The rice pilaf will take the longest so it is important to start it first. Then you can go on to make the salad and finally last minute is when you sear the Ahi tuna since it takes the least amount of time.
• Measure out the water and place it into the medium sauce pan and cover. Bring the water to a boil and then add the rice pilaf and simmer for the time said on the package. Different types of rice pilaf take shorter or longer time.
• To cut down on time you can buy a specialty box of rice pilaf at your local grocery store. Check the times to make sure you give yourself enough time for it to almost finish before making the Ahi.
Making the Salad
• Start by putting your package of mixed baby salad greens into the salad spinner and run water over them. Then spin the greens for about two or three minutes so that all the excess water falls off. Put the lettuce in your salad bowl.
• Peel your carrots and either chop them into little pieces on your cutting board or make carrot shavings with the peeler for the salad. Sprinkle the carrots all over the top of the mixed baby salad greens.
• Take out your cherry tomatoes to wash and slice them into halves and sprinkle them on top of the salad. Set your salad aside with the salad tongs in the bowl.
Making the Seared Ahi Tuna
• Once the rice is pretty much done with less than about five minutes to go then you want to sear the Ahi tuna. Turn your large skillet on the burner on medium and add the butter, crushed garlic, fennel, basil and capers. Stir around a little with a wooden spoon until skillet is nice and hot.
• Take your two pounds of Ahi tuna and cut it into four to six large chunks. Place one side of each chunk onto the skillet for about a half a minute and then flip to the next side. Repeat this until all sides have been touched by the hot skillet.
• Remove the Ahi immediately from the skillet once the final side is seared and place on your dinner plates. Pour a little of the butter with garlic, fennel, basil and capers in it on each piece of tuna.
With your seared Ahi finished you are ready to make up the plates and serve. Add a nice serving of rice pilaf and salad onto each plate. Drizzle the salad and Ahi tuna with balsamic vinegar and add a little olive oil to the salad. Eat immediately and enjoy. This is a delicious healthy meal that is sure to satisfy your taste buds.