How to Make the World's BEST French Toast
The thought of eating her tasty breakfast concoctions was worth leaving my snug bed and joining the family for breakfast.
Here's my mom's easy French toast recipe. I've made it many times and its always come out delicious.
- 4 Eggs
- ½ cup Milk
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Pinch of Nutmeg (freshly ground is best)
- Pinch of Cinnamon
- Bread slices – thicker stale bread is best but regular sliced sandwich bread works too
- In a shallow mixing bowl, beat eggs. I have used a pie pan for this but any shallow dish will work.
- Mix in milk, vanilla, sugar and spices to the egg mixture.
- I strongly recommend you use fresh ground nutmeg as the aromatic properties of it enhance this dish dramatically.
- In a large flat frying pan, melt some butter or oil.
- Dip bread into egg mixture. Saturate both sides.
- Place egg bettered bread in hot frying pan. Cook until golden brown. Flip and cook other side.
- Serve with maple syrup, confectioners’ sugar, honey, or jam topping.