Potato Asparagus Breakfast Hash
Recipe type: Breakfast
Cuisine: No Meat
Serves: 8 servings
A delicious breakfast hash featuring young (thin) asparagus heads.
- 1 bunch thin asparagus
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- ½ green pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 packages (20 ounces each) refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
- 12 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Trim asparagus to ½ original length, discarding thicker stem pieces. Cut remaining asparagus into 1 inch lengths.
- Dice onion and pepper.
- Preheat a 12 inch dutch oven over medium heat (12 coals if using charcoal). Melt butter, then add all vegetables. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 15-20 minutes. Turn once only to allow potatoes to brown slightly.
- Push potato mixture to the corners of the pan. Pour beaten eggs into center of pan and cook while stirring until completely set, but not dry.
- Season with salt and pepper. Mix eggs and potatoes to combine. Top with shredded cheese.
- If cooking with coals, remove bottom heat, cover, and place 15 coals on top. If cooking on stovetop, reduce heat and cover. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.